2006-08-29 - 1:53 p.m.
Oh...the pain. I am such a fucking loser.
My cat got in a fight the other day with a neighborhood cat. He had some superficial wounds afterwards. A scratch near his ear and several little nicks and scratches. I've learned...from experience...that even these little wounds will probably abcess. Normally I just wait and see what happens but in this case, with a wound near the ear, I will give the cat an antibiotic. If they are given within 24 hours of a fight there will not be an abcess. An abcess near the ear is impossible to deal with once it's there. The cat won't leave it alone and even those collar things won't help because they can still scratch it. Trust me, I know, I've had this happen before and it took two months of daily cleaning (by me) for the wound to heal. I know I probably shouldn't be acting like a veterinarian...but, it's easier to prevent the abcess than it is to treat it once it's there. If I had taken him to the vet the vet would have given him an antibiotic. I know. And since I have leftover antibiotics from other fight episodes, last night I just gave him one. And I woke up to him throwing up a few hours later.
Which I didn't think much of. Because you know, cats throw up. I did get up to make sure he was okay and he was already at the food dish eating. So. He was okay.
For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about him throwing up and in a half sleep state it occured to me that I had given him a pill that was supposed to be cut in quarters.
I feel really bad. He's fine, the cat is. I mean, he just threw up that once and he ate and has been eating and he is outside doing his normal thing now. But holy shit...I overdosed him and he threw up because of it. I overdosed him. I overdosed him. I overdosed him. And I did it NOT UNDER THE ADVICE OF THE VET. I am a total loser.
I am throwing away all my left over antibiotics now.
previous - next